How To Play Roulette Online
Get ready to play roulette online like a pro with our quick guide on how to play roulette. We'll take you through how the game of roulette works, the rules, and explain the difference between inside and outside bets. You can test out your new skills by heading over to one of our top online casinos to play for real money or try out one of our free online roulette games.
Here's how to play online roulette and win:
- Know the rules of roulette. Different types of games have different rules. Make sure you've got them down before putting any real money on the tables.
- Your odds are better when you bet on more than one number at a time. Combo-bets, red/black and odd/even are great bets for beginners.
- There are many roulette strategies to try, but remember that none can guess the next number to come. You can increase your odds of winning, but it is gambling after all. There are always some top tips out there but the main thing is to play for fun!
How does roulette work and what are the rules?
Roulette consists of a spinning wheel, table to place bets, and a ball that will land on the winning number. First, you'll have to decide which roulette variant you want to play. There are many to choose from and don't worry, we've got a guide to them all. The most popular version are American Roulette, European Roulette, and Live Dealer Roulette.
After you've joined a game you place your first bet. When all players have placed their bets the game can start. The dealer, or croupier if you're playing live roulette, spins the wheel. When the wheel stops the ball will settle in a pocket (one of the numbers) and that will be the winning number and colour. If you've predicted correctly you're the winner!
The rules of roulette
The basic rules of roulette are; place your bets, the game starts – no more bets, the winner is announced and losing bets go to the house. However, the rules differ depending on which version of the game you're playing. Below we've listed the most common differences.European Roulette:
En Prison - If the ball lands on zero the player has two choices:
- 1. Reclaim half of the losing bet
- 2. All or nothing. Leave the bet (en prison) for the next spin. If the next spin is zero the player loses. If the next spin matches the bet, the player gets their money back.
- La Partage - The player will automatically lose half their bet if the ball lands on a zero.
All bets that are placed, except bets on the single zero, are lost if the ball lands on the double or single zero.
The single zero is red and the double zero is black, which means they count as Pair and Manque, Impair and Passe respectively. If the ball lands on a zero the bets are lost. But, if you placed one of the above bets your bet will be En Prison until the next spin.
Understanding the roulette wheel
The roulette wheel will have either 37 or 38 numbers, depending if there's a double zero or not. The numbers on the wheel are listed randomly and alternate between black and red, except for the zero(s) which are usually green.
The wheel will spin in one direction while the ball spins in the opposite direction. These things might not seem important when playing online, but it's still good to know some of the details of the game.
As you start to learn how to play roulette online, you'll also notice that the actual wheel may be completely still at first. It will spin after you've locked in your bets. But before you can do that, you need to know how the betting board works.
The roulette betting board
The roulette board is where you place your bets, and you should review the board thoroughly if you want to learn how to play the game the right way. The numbers on the wheel is replicated on the board, but in consecutive order. From left to right, separated into three columns.
How to place your roulette bet
To bet on a number, just drop your chips directly on the number, right on the felt. Before you drop all your chips on one number, it's important to learn how to play roulette by making other bets. Instead of just betting on one specific number, you can bet on the first dozen, the second dozen, or the third dozen. You can also bet on any of the three columns, the first 18 numbers, or the second 18 numbers.
Other bets you should know about if you want to learn how to play roulette include:
- the street bet - betting on three number in a row, starting with the left column number,
- the corner bet - betting on four numbers,
- the split bet - betting on two numbers, and
- the line bet - betting on six numbers.
Don't forget about inside or outside bets:
- Inside bet – includes bets on single numbers or a small group of numbers. The hardest bet to win, but most rewarding.
- Outside bet – betting on a large group like odds or evens, red or black, or 1-18 or 19-36. Easiest to win, but low reward.
Quick summary to how to play roulette online
- 1. Pick your roulette table, and version of the game.
- 2. Place your bets, don't forget about reds or blacks.
- 3. The dealer will close all bets and spin the wheel.
- 4. The ball will land in a pocket and the dealer will announce the winning combination.
- 5. Losing bets go back to the house, but if you guessed it right – you're the lucky winner!
Think you know everything about how to play online roulette? Test your skills with our free games, or try your luck and play for real money on one of the best online roulette casinos.